I guess we’re all somewhat worried about the Corona Virus (Covid-19) outbreak. Having performed over 500 shows at care homes in both London UK and Los Angeles USA, I have no doubt of the benefits of these shows – the sense of involment, attention, human warmth and of course the sheer pleasure in the music experienced by the audience. But I would be mortified to think that the shows would jeopardize the health of anyone! I myself am a bone marrow transplant survivor (at the City of Hope, Los Angeles, 2013) and still take immunosuppressants, and have been taking reasonable steps to manage infection risk generally, so I am not new to these concerns! During these shows I have quite frequently held hands and ‘shared a microphone’ with audience members, a warm, involving, friendly and enjoyable thing to do, but in the current situation this will stop.
I have developed a hygiene protocol based on NHS, World Health Organization and UK Government recommendations, adapted to the specifics of my shows…
Hygiene Protocol During Corona Virus (Covid-19) Outbreak
In Operation from March 1st 2020 (last updated March 4th)
- Arrive at the facility equipped with tissues, antiseptic wipes and alcohol-based sanitizer*
- Wash hands for 20+ seconds upon arrival at the facility (method as per NHS guidelines)
- No handshakes, handholding, hugging, air kissing etc throughout my time in the facility
- Maintain at least 1 metre (3 feet) distance between myself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing.
- Cover my mouth and nose with a tissue, or if not possible my bent elbow if I cough or sneeze. Then dispose of the used tissue immediately.
- Use the alcohol-based sanitizer in the event of any accidental handshakes or contamination of hands etc
- Wipe down frequently touched areas of equipment – microphone, guitar, harmonicas etc before the show starts
- Briefly explain relevant hygiene measures to audience at start of show
- Wipe harmonica and mouth after each use of harmonica
- Wipe down frequently touched areas of equipment – microphone, guitar, harmonicas etc at the end of the show
- Wash hands for 20+ seconds before leaving the facility (method as per NHS guidelines)
*with the panic-buying going on at the moment, it may be that I have to substitute ‘next best’ sanitizer
I hope we can continue to work together to bring some joy in these difficult times… Thank you for inviting me into your care home!
Warm Best Wishes – PeterFollow me on FB